For this project, you’ll need: rubber gloves, socket wrench, two liters of distilled white vinegar, box of baking soda, scouring pad, dish soap
- Put on rubber gloves, and open the dishwasher.
- Slide out and remove the bottom dishwasher rack. Remove the upside-down basket-looking thing from the bottom of the dishwasher. To do this, you will most likely need to unscrew the little bolts using a socket wrench.
- Once you’ve removed it, examine the basket and any other removable parts from the bottom of the dishwasher. Are they covered in slimy blackness or food residue resembling curdled cheese? Probably. Scrub these parts in the sink with hot water and soap until they sparkle.
- Check out the area of the dishwasher from which you removed the basket thing. Is it clogged with old food and nastiness? Probably. Scoop that stuff out and throw it away.
- “Volcano” any drain holes you see by first pouring a generous amount of baking soda down the holes, followed by white vinegar. Wait 5 minutes to let the magic happen!
- Reinstall the (now clean) basket thing and any accompanying parts.
- Put the bottom dishwasher rack back into the machine.
- Pour 1 liter of white vinegar in the bottom of the machine, close it, and let the dishwasher run on its normal cycle.
- Once the cycle is complete, repeat step 7.
You will notice that your dishes come out much cleaner!
Thoughts on this? Other ideas? Post a comment, or write to Crystal and let her know!